Shadowing in Emergency Medicine
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Florida (UF) seeks to provide an environment that teaches the reward of caring for patients in an emergency department setting, an area unique in our hospital. Our priority is first to medical trainees within UF, including all UF College of Medicine (COM) students, house staff, fellows and those in other health-care units within the COM. We also recognize we can provide meaningful opportunities to learn and experience the depth and breadth of emergency medicine to UF undergraduates.
Shadowing is a voluntary experience with a practicing physician in the Emergency Department. Those approved are permitted to shadow a physician for up to 8 hours per day over the course of a 30-day period. Dress is business casual, and the shadower is not permitted to wear scrubs or a lab coat.
Please Note: Due to the high volume of interest, we expect longer processing times as multiple Departments have to sign off before you can shadow. At this time, students are allowed to Shadow for a maximum of 1 month.
Note: We do not offer any academic credit or medical certification for shadowing in the Emergency Department. Shadowing does not constitute medical education, graduate medical education, continuing medical education, or training leading to licensure or board certification. The shadower is not a student, resident, medical staff member, or employee of UF COM and must not represent him/herself as such. Shadowers are not allowed to provide patient care, even under supervision.
Typical activities for shadowing include:
- Observing patient-physician interactions in the Emergency Department
- Discussion of patient interactions with faculty and other members of the medical team including residents, nurses, and medical students
- Participation in didactic activities
- Observing medical resuscitations
Forms required to shadow in Emergency Medicine:
- Form of government issued ID (Gator1 card is approved)
- Picture of vaccine card or medical exemption form filled out
- Proof of HIPAA certification via myTraining (with the observer’s name on the certificate and training taken within the last 12 months) – HIPAA Training Modules
- Signed Security & Confidentiality Agreement
- Online Confidentiality Statement (please provide your signature)
- Request to Observe Patient Care Form Picture of vaccine card or medical exemption form filled out (please let me know if I need to send you that form)
Please allow 10-14 days for application processing and approval once the application packet is received in full. The existence of this document creates no obligation for our department to provide on a shadowing experience. For more information or if you have any questions, please contact us.