The Department of Emergency Medicine is now offering opportunities for emergency medicine graduates to pursue a fellowship in sports medicine though UF’s Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship.
This ACGME accredited fellowship is offered in conjunction with the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine and seeks to produce excellent primary care sports medicine physicians, equipped for a lifetime of learning and prepared for a successful and fulfilling career in primary care sports medicine. This fellowship is directed by Dr. James R. Clugston in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine. Dr. Joseph A. Tyndall serves as a member of the Fellowship’s faculty and the liaison for the Department of Emergency Medicine.
The program accepts three fellows each year. Residency training must be from an ACGME accredited program. Our program does not accept J-1 Visa applicants at this time.
Our 12-month curriculum provides the fellow with enthusiastic teaching and abundant exposure with varying levels of responsibility to athletic teams and events at the University of Florida and greater North Florida area. Below is a sample of our current activities:
- Rotations: Anatomy; Cardiology; Physical Therapy; Orthopedic Pediatrics; Orthopedic Spine; Orthopedic Upper Extremity; UTAH Sports Performance in Salt Lake City, Utah; Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation; Emergency Medicine; Musculoskeletal Radiology; Drug Testing.
- Team Coverage: 1. University of Florida; 2. Santa Fe College; and 3. Alachua County high schools 4. USTA Women’s Pro Circuit Tournament. This includes all sports and many post-season competitions at each institution.
- Mass Event Coverage: 1. Five Points of Life Marathon, Gainesville; 2. Florida Relays, Gainesville
- Travel: Travel to national sports medicine conferences is provided, with other travel to be arranged with the Director.
- Didactics: 1. Weekly to biweekly lectures by faculty to fellow; 2. Weekly CAQ review on exam topics.
- Academic Activity: 1. Research Project—faculty assistance with planning and IRB approval; 2. Writing Project—faculty with multiple projects for fellow to be involved; 3. QI Project.
Fellows are employed by the University of Florida, College of Medicine, and are considered to be PGY-4 house staff for salary and benefit purposes. For more information about house staff benefits, please see the Housestaff Benefits page
The UF Sports Medicine Fellowship has three slots. We accept applicants with family medicine, physical medicine, emergency medicine and pediatric training. Applications must be submitted through ERAS (ACGME ID: 1271112114) by September 1 prior to the entering year. Applicants must have graduated from an ACGME accredited residency by the time of matriculation. Applicants with questions or concerns may contact: Mrs. Chari Holder, Program Assistant Email: firstname.lastname@example.org UF Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship UF Student Health Care Center PO Box 117500 Gainesville, FL 32611-7500 Phone: 352-294-7440.
Most activities occur at the UF Student Health Care Center, the UF Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Institute, and the University Athletic Association’s training rooms and facilities on the UF campus.
Faculty from multiple UF departments, as well as faculty from several other institutions, comprise the fellowship faculty. The faculty includes CAQ primary care sports medicine physicians and physicians who are current or former team physicians at the University of Florida.
- James R. Clugston, MD, MS, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Katie M. Edenfield, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Kevin Farmer, MD, UF Team Physician, Orthopedics
- Jocelyn R. Gravlee, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Scott Greenberg, DPT, PT, CSCS, UFHealth Physical Therapy @ SHCC
- Ann M. Grooms, MD, Student Health Physician, Eating Disorders Team, Pediatric Hematology
- Daniel Herman, MD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Michael W. Moser, MD, Head UF Team Physician, Orthopedics
- Guy Nicolette, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, SFC Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Cheree Padilla, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- J. Chris Patrick, MA, ATC, Assistant Athletics Director, Sports Health
- Bryan R. Prine, MD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine, Orthopedics
- Paul Silvestri, MS, ATC, LAT, Assistant Director Sports Health, Head Athletic Trainer UF Football
- M. Seth Smith, PharmD, MD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine, Orthopedics
- M. Massimo Testa, MD, TOSH Sports Performance Lab, Salt Lake City, UT
- Joseph Adrian Tyndall, MD, MPH, FACEP, Emergency Medicine
- Kevin R. Vincent, MD, PhD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, UF Running Medicine Clinic
- Jason Zaremski, MD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation