Sports Medicine Fellowship
The Department of Emergency Medicine is now offering opportunities for emergency medicine graduates to pursue a fellowship in sports medicine though UF’s Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship. This ACGME accredited fellowship is offered in conjunction with the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine and seeks to produce excellent primary care sports medicine physicians, equipped for a lifetime of learning and prepared for a successful and fulfilling career in primary care sports medicine. This fellowship is directed by Dr. Guy Nicolette in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine. Dr. Joseph A. Tyndall serves as a member of the Fellowship’s faculty and the liaison for the Department of Emergency Medicine.
The program accepts three fellows each year. Residency training must be from an ACGME accredited program. Our program does not accept J-1 Visa applicants at this time.
Our 12-month curriculum provides the fellow with enthusiastic teaching and abundant exposure with varying levels of responsibility to athletic teams and events at the University of Florida and greater North Florida area. Below is a sample of our current activities: Experience: Musculoskeletal Ultrasound; Cadaver-based Anatomy; Physical Therapy; Performance Enhancing Drug Testing; Orthopedic Pediatrics, Spine, Upper Extremity, Sports Surgery, and Foot and Ankle; Musculoskeletal Radiology; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Strength Training; Sports Cardiology; Nutrition; Concussion Management/Research; Sports Performance; Acute Care; and Student Health. Team Coverage: 1. University of Florida; 2. Santa Fe College; and 3. Alachua County high schools 4. USTA Women’s Pro Circuit Tournament. This includes all sports and many post-season competitions at each institution. Mass Event Coverage: 1. Five Points of Life Marathon, Gainesville; 2. Florida Relays, Gainesville Travel: Travel to national sports medicine conferences is provided, with other travel to be arranged with the Director. Didactics: 1. Weekly to biweekly lectures by faculty to fellow; 2. Weekly CAQ review on exam topics. Academic Activity: 1. Research Project—faculty assistance with planning and IRB approval; 2. Writing Project—faculty with multiple projects for fellow to be involved; 3. QI Project.
Fellows are employed by the University of Florida, College of Medicine, and are considered to be PGY-4 house staff for salary and benefit purposes. For more information about house staff benefits, please see the Housestaff Benefits page.
The UF Sports Medicine Fellowship accepts up to three fellows each year. We accept applicants with family medicine, internal medicine, physical medicine, emergency medicine and pediatric training. Applications must be submitted through ERAS (ACGME ID: 1271112114) by September 1 prior to the entering year. Applicants must have graduated from an ACGME accredited residency by the time of matriculation.
Applicants with questions or concerns may contact:
Mrs. Chari Holder, Coordinator
UF Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
PO Box 117500
Gainesville, FL 32611-7500
Additional questions about the fellowship may be directed to Guy Nicolette, MD, Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most activities occur at the UF Student Health Care Center, the UF Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Institute, and the University Athletic Association’s training rooms and facilities on the UF campus.
Faculty from multiple UF departments, as well as faculty from several other institutions, comprise the fellowship faculty. The faculty includes CAQ primary care sports medicine physicians and physicians who are current or former team physicians at the University of Florida.
- Guy W. Nicolette, MD, CAQSM, Director of UF Sports Medicine Fellowship & UF Student Health, Family Medicine
- James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Katie M. Edenfield, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Kevin Farmer, MD, UF Team Physician, Orthopedic Surgery
- Jocelyn R. Gravlee, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Scott Greenberg, DPT, CPed, BS ESS, CSCS, UF Health Physical Therapy UF Student Health
- Daniel Herman, MD, PhD, CAQSM, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Charlie Michaudet, MD, CAQSM, Family Medicine Residency Program
- Michael W. Moser, MD, Head UF Team Physician, Orthopedic Surgery
- Cheree Padilla, MD, CAQSM, UF Team Physician, Family Medicine
- Thomas F. Payton, MD, MBA, FACEP, Vice Chair, Clinical Operations, UF Emergency Medicine & Shands ED, Medical Director, Adult Emergency Department
- Bryan R. Prine, MD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine OSMI
- Paul Silvestri, MS, ATC, LAT, Assistant Director Sports Health, Head Athletic Trainer UF Football
- Seth Smith, MD, PharmD, CAQSM, Sports Medicine OSMI, Santa Fe College Team Physician
- Massimo Testa, MD, TOSH Sports Performance Lab (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Adrian Tyndall, MD, MPH, FACEP, Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine & Chief of Emergency Services, UF Health
- Jason Zaremski, MD, CAQSM, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation